Apple’s AirPods provide almost seamless audio experiences and hand-free conversations with the receptive Microphone.
But some users have recently found their AirPods, and AirPods Pro microphone is not working.
This mainly happens if the AirPods is not properly charged or there are some misconfigurations in the AirPods Mic settings.
So, how to fix it? Don’t worry, as there are plenty of solutions when the AirPods mic is not working.
Read through this article to know the solutions in detail.
What To Do When AirPods Microphone Is Not Working?
Follow the solutions discussed below to know what to do when the AirPods mic is not working.
1) Charge The AirPods
When the AirPods mic is not working, charge the AirPods.
If the AirPods are not being charged enough and the battery level is low, they will not function.
So, charge the AirPods, and if it still does not work, reconnect your AirPods.
2) Disconnect And Reconnect The AirPods
Disconnecting and reconnecting the AirPods with your device can also help fix the problem when the AirPods mic is not working.
So, put your AirPods back in their case and close the lid.
Then, remove the AirPods from the case and put them in your ears.
This process will disconnect and reconnect the AirPods to your device.
Check if the AirPods mic is working correctly now. If not, then restart your Apple device.
3) Restart Your Apple Device
A fresh restart of your Apple device can often fix the connectivity issues.
So, restart the Apple OS, and this can fix the problem.
Here is how to restart your iPhone and iPad:
Steps To Restart An iPhone
The steps to restart an iPhone can differ from model to model, but here is an essential guide:
- Press & hold the side button of the iPhone till you see the Slide to power off option.
- Swipe the Power slider on the iPhone screen from left to right to turn off the iPhone.
- After a few minutes, press & hold the side button again to turn on the iPhone.
Connect your AirPods and see if it is working now.
Steps To Restart An iPad
- If you have an iPad with the Home button, press & hold the Top button until the power slider appears.
- For iPads without Home buttons, press & hold the Top button and the volume up or down button until you see the power slider on the screen.
- Drag the slider to turn off the iPad and wait for a few minutes.
- Turn on the iPad after a while, pressing the Top button till the Apple logo appears.
After restarting your iPad or iPhone, connect the AirPods. If the mic still does not work, clean the Microphone.
4) Clean The AirPods Microphone
If your AirPods microphone is clogged with dirt and dust, it will not function.
So, check the end of the AirPods stems. The microphones are located there.
Check if the area is clogged with dirt and dust. Use a cotton swab or a soft cloth to clean the mic holes.
Connect the AirPods again with your Apple device and see if the mic is working fine now. If not, then check the AirPods settings.
5) Check The AirPods Settings
If one of your AirPods is not working, then it can happen due to improper Microphone Settings.
Before you begin the steps given below to change the AirPods microphone settings, connect it to your Apple device:
- Go to iPhone Settings and turn on Bluetooth. Select AirPods.
- Tap on Microphone and select Automatically Switch AirPods. Check if the AirPods mic is working now.
6) Reset The AirPods & AirPods Pro Microphone
If your AirPods & AirPods Pro Microphone are not working after performing the above steps, then reset the AirPods.
To do so, follow the steps given below:
- Put the AirPods back into their charging case and close the lid.
- Wait for a minute and open the lid of the case.
- Put the AirPods in your ears and connect those to your Apple device.
- Open iPhone Settings and tap on Bluetooth. Or, from Settings, tap on your AirPods > More info option.
- If you cannot find the above options, then tap on Forget This Device option. Tap again to confirm your action.
- Open the lid of the AirPods case and from the back of the case, press & hold the setup button for 15-20 seconds.
- Release the button when the status light at the front of the case changes from amber to white.
- Reconnect the AirPods. Open the charging case’s lid and, keeping the AirPods there, place the AirPods close to your Apple device.
- Follow the on-screen instructions on your Apple Device. After resetting the AirPods, the mic should function properly.
7) Contact Apple Support
If no other solution could help you to fix the AirPods mic, contact Apple Support.
Tell them the problem and follow the on-screen instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
- How do I test my AirPods mic?
To test your AirPods mic, connect the AirPods to your Apple device.
Open a sound recording app on your device and try a voice recording.
- Why isn’t my Microphone working on my AirPods?
Microphones on AirPods may not workif the AirPodsbatteries are running low or due to improper AirPods microphone settings.
- Where is the AirPods mic located?
A single AirPod has a microphone at the end of its stem. The second mic is located inside the earpiece of the AirPods.
Let us know which of the above solutions helped you to fix the AirPods mic-related problem.
For any further queries, ask us in the comments section provided below.