If there is any change in the proxy settings, incorrect configuration in the network adapter settings or outdated network drivers, you may get to see the “Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings” error message while troubleshooting the internet problem.
Many users have faced the same problem and today I will be discussing some feasible ways to solve it.
What To Do When Windows Could Not Automatically Detect This Network’s Proxy Settings?
Check the solutions provided below and see if these help you get rid of Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings error.
1) Uncheck Proxy Server Option
When your Windows could not detect this network’s proxy settings check if the automatic proxy settings is somehow enabled.
You may not have turned it yourself, but it will be wise enough to disable the proxy settings if it is turned on, so that Windows can detect the proxy settings automatically.
Follow the steps mentioned below to do it:
- Go to the Start Menu and type Internet Options. Press the Enter key and this will open the Internet Properties window.
- Click on the Connections tab and select LAN Settings.
- From the Proxy Server section find and uncheck the box attached to Use proxy servers for your LAN option.
- Press the OK button twice to apply the changes. Windows should automatically detect the network’s proxy settings now. If this process does not help, follow our next step.
2) Reset Network Adapter
There may be some incorrect configuration in the network adapter settings that is preventing it to function properly.
Follow the guidelines mentioned below to reset the network adapters.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Win + R hotkeys on the keyboard.
- Enter ncpa.cpl in the command box and hit the Enter button.
- From the Network Connections window, right-click on your Network Adapter and select Disable.
- Wait for some time and then again right-click on the Network Adapter and this time select Enable.
If you are asked for a confirmation, provide it.
3) Reset Network Configuration
If any change made in the Winsock settings is creating the problem, then reset Winsock settings to its default.
Check the following steps mentioned to do so:
- Go to the Start Menu and enter CMD. Select Command Prompt from the given options and choose to Run as administrator.
- This will open an Elevated Command Prompt Enter the following command and press the Enter button:
netsh winsock reset catalog
- Reboot your system and check if this has solved your problem.
- If after running this command, Windows 10 could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings error message reappears, then run the following commands one by one and press the enter key after each command:
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
After running all the commands successfully if you confront the same issue, then move on to our next solution.
4) Use System Restore Point To Restore The System
When you have some issues with Windows, you can restore the system to the restore point that is saved in your computer.
- Go to the Search bar and type System Restore. Select Create A Restore Point.
- In the System Properties window, select System Restore.
- Click on Choose a different restore point inside the System Restore window. Select the Next option.
- Manually select a restore point created earlier. And click on the Next option.
- After you finish the process, you will be able to revert to the previous state.
If Windows could not detect this network’s proxy settings after performing these steps, update the network drivers.
5) Update Your Network drivers
If your network drivers are outdated, then you may have connectivity issues and Windows will not detect this network’s proxy settings.
So, update the network drivers and check if this helps.
6) Run A Virus Scan
Sometimes a virus or malware can be the root cause of this problem. So, run your antivirus and scan your system thoroughly. If the problem persists after the scan then this may be due to the corrupted system files.
To replace the corrupted system files you can run an SFC scan.
There you are! Hope now you know what to do if your Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings. For further queries, comment in the section provided below.