Dwm.exe or Desktop Window Manager manages the visual effects on your system.
So, it requires some amount of system resources to do its job.
But if you find Desktop Window Manager high memory usage then follow this article to know the tricks to tackle the problem easily.
How To Get Rid Of Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage?
Let us now see why Desktop Window Manager uses so much memory and what are the possible ways to fix it.
Also Read: How to lower CPU & GPU usage in games.
1) Restart Windows File Explorer
To save Desktop Windows Manager high memory usage, restart Windows Explorer. To do that follows the steps given below:
- Right-click on your Taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Go to the Process tab and find Windows Explorer. Right-click on it and select the Restart option.
2) Disable Screen Saver
The screen saver that you are using may also be the reason for dwm.exe high memory.
So, disable the screen saver and see if this helps to save the memory usage.
Follow the steps given below:
- Right-click on a blank space on your desktop and select Personalize.
- Click on Lock Screen and from the right pane, turn the toggle off for Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen.
Check if this reduces some memory usage.
3) Adjust For Best Performance
You can also force your windows to adjust for the best performance to reduce Windows Desktop Manager high memory usage.
To tweak the settings follow the steps given below:
- Go to the Search box and enter Performance in the box. Choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
- From the performance options window, click on the radio button for Adjust for the best performance option.
Click on the OK button to save the changes.
4) Optimize Windows Performance Using Command Prompt
Running the performance troubleshooter boosts the performance and speed of the system.
So, to optimize the performance level of your Windows follow the steps given below:
- Go to the Start menu and enter CMD in the search box. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Enter the following command in the elevated Command prompt window and press the Enter key:
msdt.exe /id PerformanceDiagnostic
5) Update The Graphics Driver
Many users have reported that updating the display drivers has often helped with desktop Windows Manager high memory usage issues.
Using outdated graphics drivers can lead to having performance issues.
So, it is really important to keep your graphics drivers updated. So, update the graphics drivers and see if this fixes the problem.
6) Run A Full Scan
The dwm.exe folder is generally located in your System32 folder.
But if it is located elsewhere then it can be spyware, Trojan, or malware.
So, run a full system scan to get rid of any virus or malware that can affect your system.
- Enter Virus & Threat protection in the windows search box and select the top option.
- Click on Virus & Threat protection option from the left side pane.
- Now go to the right panel and click on the Quick Scan button and then on Scan Now option.
- You can also click on the Scan options and then on Full scan to check all the files and running programs on your hard disk.
There are other options too, like Custom Scan and Microsoft Defender Offline scan so that you can choose accordingly.
After performing the above steps, you should not have a Desktop Window Manager High Memory Usage problem anymore.
Give us feedback in the comments section below and keep sending us your queries.