FFMPEG.dll is not found error can occur while booting up in the system or while accessing some websites like GitHub.
This can happen due to a corrupt installation of an application or if the system files get corrupted.
The issue mainly happens with Teams, G Hub, Discord, Skype, Vortex For Windows, Format Factory, etc.
Follow this article to know what to do when you get the “code execution cannot proceed because ffmpeg.dll was not found” error.
How To Fix FFMPEG DLL Not Found Error?
Follow the solutions below when you find FFMPEG.dll is missing from your computer.
Also know how to fix the d3dcompiler_47-dll-missing error.
1) Clear App Cache
To boost the user experience, the applications use a cache. But if this cache becomes corrupted, then you can get ffmpeg.dll was not found error.
So, delete the app cache and see if this can fix the error. To do so, follow the steps given below:
Here, I am showing the steps with Microsoft Teams:
- Right-click on your Taskbar and open Task Manager. Check the Process tab. If you find any Teams process is running, right-click on it.
- Select the End task option as shown below.
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run utility. Enter the paths given below one by one and press the Enter key or click OK. Press Ctrl + A to select the file and click on the Delete option:
After you have deleted all the above files, restart your PC.
- If this does not fix the error, then again check if any Teams process is running in the Task manager. End it.
- After that, open Run utility and enter the following location in the Run command box, and press Enter:
- Now right-click on the Teams folder and Delete it.
- Confirm that you want to delete the folder and restart your computer. If this cannot fix the problem, reinstall the problematic solution.
2) Reinstall The Problematic Application
Reinstall the problematic app for which you receive theFFMPEG.DLL not found error.
Follow the steps given below to do so:
- Enter Control Panel in the Windows search box and select the top option.
- Choose Programs and Features.
- Click on Uninstall a program option.
- From the list of all the installed programs, search for Microsoft Teams. Right-click on it and select Uninstall.
Follow the on-screen prompts to uninstall Teams. Also, uninstall Teams Machine-Wide Installer following the same process.
3) Copy The Folder Into the Application’s Installation Directory
If you have reinstalled an application without removing the residual files of the previous installation, then duplicate application folders can be present in your system.
So, copy all the contents of the new installation folder to the previous folder. To do so, follow the steps given below:
- Open run utility. Enter the following command in the Run command box and press Enter:
- Open the Microsoft Folder and then Teams folder. Check if there are multiple folders starting with Current..
- Copy all the contents of the folder that does not have the default name and paste it into the folder having the default name.
Make sure to avoid messages to replace folders. You can merge the folders when asked.
- After you have copied the files, restart your PC. Now check if the problem is fixed else, create a new user account.
4) Create A New User Account
If the above methods cannot fix then create a fresh user account. Sometimes, the user profile becomes corrupted, and errors can occur.
So, create a new user account, and this can fix the problem. To do so, follow the steps given below:
- Press Windows + I keys to open Windows Settings and select Accounts.
- Select Family and Other users options.
- Next, click on the Other users section and select Add someone else to this PC, as shown below.
- Choose I don’t have this person’s sign-in information option.
- Click on Add a user without a Microsoft account from the next window.
- Enter the username& password in respective fields and click Next.
After you have freshly created a user account, restart your PC and log in with your new account credentials.
See if this could fix the DLL error.
5) Run A SFC Scan
FFMPEG DLL is not found error can occur due to missing or corrupted system files.
To fix the problem, run an SFC scan. This will check & fix the corrupted system files. You can follow this guide to run the SFC scan.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
- What does ffmpeg.dll not found mean?
If you get ffmpeg.dll is missing error, then the system files are corrupted, so the system directory cannot find the DLL file.
You can also get such an error if an attempted installation has failed or installed a corrupted application.
- Where is ffmpeg.dll stored?
The ffmpeg.dll file is mostly stored in the Windows system folder.
The DLL file is stored in the game’s application folder for some programs like PC games.
So, follow the solutions given above and perform the steps when you find that ffmpeg.dll is missing.
For any further details, contact us in the comments section provided.