While copying files or folders if you see ‘There is insufficient disk space to complete the operation’ error, then this means that space is scarce in the hard drive.
So, check this article to know how to free up some space fast and get rid of the issue.
How To Free Up Some Disk Space?
When there is insufficient disk space to complete the operation, check the methods to free up some space from your hard drive.
1) Perform A Clean Boot
Perform a clean boot when you see there isn’t enough disk space on your device.
This will reduce the chance of software conflicts during the start-up that may be responsible to initiate the problem.
- Press Win + R hotkeys to open the Run utility. Now enter msconfig in the command box and press the Enter button.
- Go to the Services tab and check the Hide all Microsoft Services box as shown below.
- Click on the Disable all option to disable all the services that are running in the background.
- Exit the window and right-click on your Windows Taskbar. Select Task Manager.
- Next, go to the Startup Right-click on the Apps in the Startup tab and select the Disable option.
- After finishing the process and restart your computer. Now, this should free up some disk space.
2) Delete Unnecessary Files
When you find insufficient disk space to complete an operation, delete all the files that you use no longer.
Often we keep piles of unused files on our computer that takes up a lot of space unnecessarily. So, check the files you do not use much and delete those.
3) Use Safe Mode
As safe mode starts your PC with a limited number of files and drivers, so, boot into safe mode while you do not have enough disk space.
This will ensure minimum functionalities by closing unnecessary apps and programs.
Now follow the steps to get into Safe Mode:
- Click on the Start button and select Settings.
- Click on Update & Security and then select Recovery from the left side pane.
- Under the Advanced Startup option click on Restart now.
- You will get Choose an option screen now. Select Troubleshoot option.
- Next click on the Advanced options and select Startup Settings option. Click on Restart.
- Press the F5 key to enter Safe Mode with the networking option.
4) Format The Partition
If your external hard disk is having a FAT32 file system, then its storage capacity is just under 4GB.
So, when you do have not enough disk space, either reformat it to NTFS or split the files smaller than 4GB.
But make sure to backup everything before you format your partition as the process will delete all the stored data.
5) Delete Temporary Folders
It is always necessary to remove the unnecessary junk files or the temporary data stored in your system.
This will help you free up some storage space when you get insufficient disk space to complete the operation.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Press Win + R keys on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Enter %temp% in the command box and press the Enter button.
- Now you will get to see the list of all the temporary files stored on your device.
- Press Ctrl+ A to select all and press the Delete button. This will delete all the junk files from your system.
6) Clear Junk Files Use Disk Cleanup
You can use Windows Disk Cleanup to clear the junk files.
So, when you do not have enough disk space, follow the steps mentioned below and clear the junk files:
- Type Disk Cleanup in the windows search bar and select the appropriate option.
- Select the particular drive from where you want to clean the junk files. Click on the OK option to confirm.
- Next click on the Cleanup system files option and the disk clean-up tool will begin to scan the drive.
After the scan, select the files you want to delete and click on the OK button.
7) Disable The Add-Ins
Sometimes the add-ins are responsible to trigger these kinds of problems.
So, disable the add-ins and check if this should free up some disk space.
Follow the steps given below:
- Open the Run dialog box and enter winword /safe in the command box. Press the Enter key.
- Now click on the office button and select Word Options.
- Next, select add-ins and click on the Go button right beside Manage option.
- If you find any add-ins enabled, uncheck the boxes to disable them.
Now restart the program for which you found insufficient disk space to complete the operation.
So, there you have it. Now you know what to do when you get the ‘There is insufficient disk space to complete operation’ error.
If you have any questions related to this topic, ask us in the comment section.