You can find the MSVCP140 DLL is missing error on Windows 10 and 11 while launching a game or program on your PC.
This can happen if the MSVCP140 DLL file is misplaced, deleted, or corrupted by a virus present on your system.
Here we have shown how to easily fix this issue, so keep reading and perform as shown.
What To Do When MSVCP140 DLL Is Missing On Windows 10?
While launching an application, if you find MSVCP140 DLL is missing on Windows 10 and 11, follow this step-by-step guide to fix the problem.
Also, know what to do when you find D3DCOMPILER 47-DLL Missing error.
1) Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
Visual C++ Redistributable is a set of DLL files. Various programs need Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable to run on Windows OS.
MSVCP140 DLL is a part of the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. This package gets installed with your Windows automatically.
There are chances that the MSVCP140 DLL file is there, but it got corrupted, and so you are getting this error.
To fix the problem, re-download Microsoft Visual C++ following the steps given below:
- Launch Windows Run utility by pressing Win + R keys.
- Enter appwiz.cpl in the Run Command box and click OK or press Enter.
- From the list of all the installed programs, locate Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable and right-click on it. Click on the Uninstall button and restart your computer.
- Click here to visit the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable page.
- Choose the appropriate version for your Windows and download it.
- After the file is downloaded, double-click on it and follow the on-screen prompts to install it.
- Restart Windows after you finish installing the redistributable package. Now try to open the program for which you were getting the error. If you still get the same error, then copy the file from another computer.
2) Copy The File From Another PC
You can also copy MSVCP140 DLL from another trusted PC that runs the same OS as yours.
Make sure the Windows version and Architecture (64-bit/32-bit) of both PCs should be the same.
Now, follow the steps given below to copy the MSVCP140 DLL file:
- Open This PC on both computers and navigate to:
- Copy MSVCP140 DLL from there and paste the file to your PC in the same location.
- Now try to open the program for which you are getting the error. If the problem is still not solved, reinstall the program.
3) Reinstall The Problematic Program
If the above solutions cannot fix the problem and MSVCP140 DLL is missing from your computer, reinstall the problematic application.
- Enter Control Panel in the Windows search box and select the top option.
- Choose Programs and Features.
- Right-click on the problematic app from the list of all the installed apps.
- Click on the Uninstall option and follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall it.
Download & install the app, and this should fix the problem.
4) Run A SFC Scan
Due to missing or corrupted system files, you can also get MSVCP140 DLL missing from your computer.
To check & fix the corrupted system files, run an SFC scan following this guide. After the scan is over, restart your PC, and the problem should be resolved.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
- Why is my MSVCP140 DLL missing?
MSVCP140 DLL can be missing on your Windows 10 if the file is misplaced or corrupted.
- Why do MSVCP140 DLL files get corrupted?
MSVCP140 DLL file can get corrupted if there is an interrupted installation of the DLL file.
- Where do I put MSVCP140 DLL in 64-bit machine?
You need to put MSVCP140 DLL exactly at the location from where it is missing. It is generally located in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ directory of your system.
For any further queries related to the MSVCP140 DLL file, ask us in the comments section provided below.