If you are using a low-end computer, then you may encounter issues while gaming.
Sometimes to optimize the performance of the game you may need to launch Steam games in the windowed mode.
Windowed mode helps you to play the games demanding high system requirements on a low-end PC.
So, if you are looking for the details, check the ways I am going to discuss today to change Steam launch options to windowed mode.
Also read: Fix: Street Fighter V Not Launching On Steam
How To Launch Steam Games In Windowed Mode?
Now follow the methods described below to get Steam launch options in Windowed mode.
Also, check what to do when you get Failed to add a new Steam library folder error.
1) Change Your In-Game Settings
You should check your games settings first and see if the specific game has a built-in option for playing it in the windowed mode.
Remember that not all games have this option.
So, follow the steps to check the game video settings:
- Launch your game and open its Settings.
- Look for Video settings or display settings and then click on Window Settings.
- Click on the drop-down menu to find display mode options.
- Change the display mode from the full-screen mode to windowed mode.
- Apply the changes and exit the game. Launch the game again and check if you can play Steam games in windowed mode.
2) Tweak The Steam Launch Parameters
If you could not find the in-game settings to tweak the display mode, then change the Steam launch parameters.
Now, I will show you how to launch Steam games in windowed mode by tweaking the Steam launch parameters. Follow the given steps:
- Open Steam and go to the game Library.
- Choose the game you want to play on the windowed mode and right-click on it. Open Properties.
- Type –windowed or –sw in the launch options field.
- Click on the OK button to save your changes. Try to launch the game and check if it launches in the windowed mode now.
- If it does not then go to the launch options field again and enter the parameters given below:
–windowed -w 1024
This will force the game to get launched in windowed mode. Save your changes by clicking on the OK button.
3) Change The Launch Parameters Of The Specific Game
If the above methods did not work for you then tweak the game shortcut properties and add windowed parameters.
Now, this should run your steam games in windowed mode.
Check the steps to know how to set a Steam game to launch in windowed mode by changing the game launch parameters:
- Right-click on your game shortcut and open its Properties.
- Click on the Shortcut tab and go to the Target field. Add –windowed at the end of the Target field.
Make sure not to delete anything. Just put the said parameter at the end.
- Click on the Apply button followed by OK to save your changes.
- If the steps do not work for you then launch the specific game and while in-game, press Alt + Enter key combinations.
Now, this should open the game in the windowed mode.
So, this was how to set Steam launch options in windowed mode.
For any tech or game-related queries, ask us in the reply section provided below.