Looking to transfer from MacOS to Windows? Or are you simply sharing data with your friends Windows PC? Whichever the case, many have issues with sharing files between Mac and Windows 10. Not many realize that it is possible to directly share files from Mac to Windows 10 with some easy methods.
In this article, I have discussed how to share files between Mac and Windows 10. Follow the steps mentioned here and you will learn how to share files between Mac and PC.
How To Share Files Between Mac and Windows 10?
There are many ways to share files between Mac and Windows 10. Here I have provided the methods to achieve that.
Method 1: Use Apple’s Windows File Sharing
One of the easiest ways to share files between Mac and Windows 10 is using Apple’s Windows file sharing app. For all macOS users, this file sharing app is native to it. To use Apple’s Windows File sharing app to share files between PC and Mac, follow the steps given below:
- Click on the Apple Logo on your Mac’s toolbar. Locate the System Preferences option and select it.
- Click on the Sharing option next. Check File Sharing on the left box.
- Now, click on the Options button. All the users accounts registered on the Mac will appear on screen. Check the user accounts you want to share with Windows 10.
- Enter the password of the user account when prompted. Click on Done.
- Now, open the System Preferences window again. Select the Network option now.
- Click on the active connection on the left menu. Select the Advanced option.
- Click on the WINS tab. Enter the workgroup name of the Windows 10 PC you want to share your Mac with.
To find the WORKGROUP name of your Windows PC, follow the steps given below:
- Type Control Panel on the Windows Search bar and select it. Click on the System and Security option.
- Select the System option. Here you will be able to see the workgroup name.
Now, moving on:
- On your Mac, click on OK and then Apply. This will make your Mac ready to start sharing files with the Windows 10 PC.
- Now, open a new macOS “Finder” window and select “Network”. All the known devices on this network will now appear.
- Select the Windows 10 PC you want to share files with.
Method 2: Use Snapdrop To Exchange Files
Another way to share files with Windows 10 is using the app Snapdrop. It is quite similar to Apple’s AirDrop. Snapdrop allows exchange of files among connected devices. It is cross platform and supports a wide range of operating systems, like Windows 10 and Mac. This allows easy sharing of file between the two well-known OS quite easily.
To make it work, open Snapdrop on both your Mac and the Windows 10 PC. Snapdrop should automatically detect both the devices and you can connect them. Drag and drop the files from one side to the other for sharing it.
Method 3: Use Cloud Services
If you are not comfortable using Snapdrop, there is another way to transfer files between Mac and PC. Many popular cloud storage services are available for both the OS and can be easily accessed from the web if the app is not supported. Find the cloud storage best for you and use it to share the files between your Mac and Windows.
Google Drive, Dropbox, Mega or OneDrive are all popular options and if you have subscribed to them, you can transfer a large number of files. Even the free service provided by these platforms should get the smaller files shared easily.
Method 4: Use USB Storages
If you don’t want to share files between PC and Mac wirelessly, there is always the option to use a USB storage device, like a pen drive to transfer files between Mac and PC. They are easy to use and don’t require too much work.
Although, you may need a storage with high capacity if you are looking to transfer large files.
Also, remember that NTFS storage format is not registered with Apple, so NTFS file storages can only be read on Mac but cannot be copied or edited natively. Format your USB to FAT32 or exFAT and use it.
So, there you have it. Now you know how to share files between Mac and Windows 10. If you have any questions regarding this topic, ask them in the comment section.