Widevine Content Decryption Module is made to protect Google’s content.
You will find this plug-in in the web browsers like Opera, Firefox, Chrome, and Android operating systems.
Popular streaming platforms like Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, and Google Play use this module.
If Widevine is not updated in Chrome, you will not be able to play the content in the streaming platforms or browsers.
Follow this article to know what to do when Chrome Components WidevineCDM is not working or is missing.
Do I Need To Download The Widevine Module?
Widevine Content Decryption Module cannot be downloaded separately as it is automatically embedded in the browsers.
You just need to install the browser, and the module will be there.
You can update and reinstall the browser if the component got removed from the installation or is not working.
How To Update And Fix Problems With Chrome Components WidevineCDM?
Follow the steps mentioned below when WidevineCDM is not working properly.
1) Allow Full Access To Widevine Content Decryption Module
When Widevine Content Decryption Module does not work on Chrome, allow full access to it. To do so, follow the steps given below:
- Launch Run by pressing Win + R hotkeys on the keyboard.
- Type the following command in the Run command box and press Enter:
- Next, navigate to Google > Chrome > User Data.
- From the list, find WidevineCDM and right-click on it. Expand its Properties.
- Go to the Security tab and check that you have full access to the folder. If not, then allow it. If the module still does not work, then update it.
2) Terminate Widevine Task From Task Manager
Open the Run command box and enter the following command in the Run dialog box:
Press the Enter key.
- Next, navigate to Google > Chrome > User Data.
- From the list, find WidevineCDM and right-click on it. Click on the Delete option.
- Next, right-click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager from the list.
- Find Chrome and right-click on it. Select the End Task option.
- Now, update Widevine Module following the next method.
3) Update Widevine Module
To update Chrome Components Widevine Content Decryption Module, follow the steps given below:
- Open Chrome and copy & paste the following into the Chrome address bar:
- From the Chrome components, locate the Widevine Content Decryption Module and click on the Check for update option.
- Now refresh the page, and you will be notified that the Chrome Components Widevinecdm is updated.
4) Disable Firewall And Antivirus Temporarily
The firewall may interfere with the Widevine module and create problems.
If, after performing the above steps, you still find that Chrome Components Widevinecdm Component is not working, then disable Firewall or antivirus for the time being.
To disable the Firewall, follow the steps as given:
- Enter Windows Defender Firewall in the Search Menu and click on the top option.
- Click on the Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended option) by clicking on the radio buttons for both Private and Public settings.
If you are using any other antivirus program, then disable that following the steps given below. Here I have shown the steps using Avast antivirus:
- From your System Tray, right-click on the Avast icon.
In case you have difficulty opening Avast, follow this article to fix the issue.
- From the Avast menu, click on Avast shields control. This will display a side menu.
- Choose for how long you want to disable Avast shields.
Confirm your action by clicking on the Yes button.
This will disable Avast for the specified period. Make sure to turn on your Firewall or antivirus protection later as your system is vulnerable to threats without them.
5) Reinstall Google Chrome
If nothing helps to fix issues with WidevineCDM, reinstall Google Chrome.
A clean reinstallation of Chrome can fix the problem. To do so, follow the steps given below:
- Enter Control Panel in the Windows search bar and choose the top option.
- Next select Programs and Features.
- From the list of all the installed programs, find Chrome and right-click on it. Select the Uninstall option.
- Click here to download the latest version of Chrome.
- Log in fresh using your account credentials, and you should not find any issue now.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
- How do I update WidevineCDM on Chrome?
To update WidevineCDM on Chrome, search for chrome://components/ in the Chrome address bar.
Locate Widevine Content Decryption Module and click on the Check for update option. Refresh the page, and you will be notified that the Chrome Components Widevinecdm is updated.
- How do I add the Widevine component?
The Widevine Component comes embedded in your web browsers.
If that is not working, update the component, allow full access to the WidevineCDM, disable your firewall or antivirus, and reinstall Chrome.
- How to fix the Widevine Content Decryption Module?
To fix WidevineCDM, update it, allow full access to the module, terminate the task from the Task Manager, and reinstall Chrome.
Hope the above article has helped you to find how to update and fix problems with WidevineCDM.
For further queries, ask us in the comments section below or join our BottoBotto community.